Popular Posts

Monday, April 5, 2010

I hope all of you had a happy Easter. I had a quiet one but we are patiently waiting for the moment our youngest and the grand baby arrive. I can hardly stand to wait that long but they are starting back on the 15th so it should not be too much longer. I was surfing the net and came across this today. It is something I should have read a long time ago. I wished I had cause there is so much truth to it.

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
and though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love, but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward, nor tarries with yesterday.
--Kahlil Gibran

We just don't own them and we have to accept what they do, even if they do not go with what we think is right. My eldest is living with another woman now and some may ask how I feel about that.
I cannot change what she is or who she is. I may not agree with that life style but she is still someone I love and care about. I may not like her at times or like what she does, but she is still my daughter.


Sometimes we think we own our kids and they are always going to do what we want. Life goes better when we accept their differences.

5 comments:

  1. Garnet you have loved your children and have only wanted them to be happy, healthy and loved, you have taught them right from wrong and you know you and your husband have done the very best you knew how too. You can do no more than that.....how they choose to live their lives is exactly that, their choice. As her mother you only need to love and support her as best you can. She is a child of God and he loves her as much as he love you or me.
    God Bless sweetie........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you bernie. You always know the right thing to say. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right - we can't make our children's choices for them, much as we'd like to. I suppose really, that we've got our own lives to live and should get on with that. It does get frustrating when they make what we view as bad choices though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crys and Tim lived together for about 6 months before they married...you Just never know What will happen!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. You might as well accept graciously what you can't change.

    ReplyDelete